Saturday, May 29, 2010

Dusting off the Ol' Blog for the OWH Memorial Day Bloghop


Long time, no blog. I can't believe how long it's been!

Again this year, Operation Write Home (formerly Cards for Heroes) is having a Memorial Bloghop. It was so much fun last year, that I jumped at the chance to do it again. If you are joining in the middle of the hop, click here to go to OWH's Stars and Stripes blog and start at the beginning. While you are there, check out some of their awesome tutorials and challenges. Just what I need when I'm feeling uninspired. Also check out their website. I just love, love, love what this organization does!

So, here it is!......here is the card that I made for this year's bloghop. The "requirement" was a red, white, and blue missing you card. Amazingly, I had no suitable "missing you" stamp in my whole collection! I decided that thinking of you was close enough (and I had several of those stamps).


This card was made almost exactly like the inspiration card. I wish I could remember where I found it. The background was stamped with VersaMark ink on kraft paper and heat embossed with clear powder. The dotted star and sentiment were stamped with Palette hybrid ink in Starry Night. I cut out the inside of a few stars and mounted it on red paper with foam tape. The ribbon and tiny safety pin were in my stash. Not a bad project, especially for someone who doesn't like to heat emboss much. All the stamps are Hero Arts. All the paper is from Marco's Paper. If you like my card, be sure to leave a comment. I love the feedback!

A big, huge THANK YOU for the men and women of our military - past and present. Our country wouldn't be such a great place to live without them.

The next stop on the bloghop is Tereza's blog, My Treasured Creations. She makes some really pretty vintage cards.

Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.



74 comments:

Missy said...

Bethany,
What a great card. I could see this working for some many other card types. Thanks for making cards for OWH.

Unknown said...

It's delightful that the ribbon comes out of the star. And you've photographed it with such a perfect background!

TN Granny said...

Bethany,
You need to stay in the zone, your a talented artist and I love your card keep bloggin, please.
Stampin Hugs,
Jeanine

Tink said...

BEAUTIFUL!!

Shelly R Wilson said...

love the dimension the desert sand CS gives to the stars on the cranberry!

Rhonda Miller said...

What a great card. I love how your background turned out. TFS.

Tammy said...

Cute card! Love the bg you created! TFS!

Julie said...

I love your card so much, I think I'm going to have to copy it!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

What a cute idea punching out some of the stars, love it! I saved your blog in my favs.

Teresa said...

Great card- you have given me several ideas! Thanks!

Melanie Nichols said...

Very nice card! Like the way you looped the ribbon through the star! Very cool! ;o)

Melanie Nichols said...

Very nice card! Like the way you looped the ribbon through the star! Very cool! ;o)

Erika said...

Cute card! And, as a military wife, let me say thank you for sharing your creativity to help bring families closer who are separated by duty.

Karen said...

Great card! Love love love it! And I LOVE the name of your blog...tooo funny! Great job!
Karen

Paula S. said...

Great how you cut out the stars and all the details really make this card a winner. Beautiful work!

Operation Write Home said...

SOOOO Cute!!! I have a bg stamp like this but never thought to use it this way....CASE! :) :) :)

Thanks for dusting off your blog for the hop!!

Cassie_lu said...

LOVE this card and can so see myself CASEing it :)

Martha said...

I LOVE the star cut outs! Fun how your threaded the ribbon through one too. Really nice work.

Thanks for supporting OWH!

Cathy... said...

Cute card! Love how you punched out the stars and backed them!

Pat Q said...

I love stars and love what you did with them. You have great ideas.

Harriet H said...

Wonderful card.... I love it

Brittany said...

Your card is really pretty. I love the clear embossed effect that you added.

Also, I was the same way! I don't have any "missing you" stamps. Instead, I just spelled it out with stamp letters. hehe. Now I know what stamp I need to add to my collection!

PocketsOfInspiration said...

GREAT use of those star punches!!!

creations by jackie said...

Gorgeous card

helloholley said...

love this,it's wonderful!!! ;)

Unknown said...

What a great way to use punches!! Thanks for sharing!

debb said...

Wonderful card!

Anonymous said...

I like the stars and the mounting tape. Glad you are back at the blog.

Lelia Pierce said...

I {heart} your card! I'm so glad you dusted off your blog to hop today! :O)

Trevorstuffmammas said...

I like the cut out idea....Thanks!! Jennifer

Unknown said...

Great card. I like how you ran the ribbon through the star.

Rufus said...

Great card! Love that layout! Thanks for supporting our Heroes and OWH.
R/

Anonymous said...

Great card. I love the stars being cut out and the ribbon wrapping around and through you. TFS

Vera Yates (Ling) said...

Such greatcard. Love how you punch out the stars at a few random place.

Anonymous said...

That sentiment definately works - love the card! B, you are my last stop for the day! I did 60 blogs today... calling it a night!


thanks for participating today!
xoxo
Lindsey @ ScrapStreet

mumgranny said...

Love the ribbon through the star. Great Card.

Dixie Cochran said...

I just love a card using kraft paper, and this one is a winner! Thank you for sharing, and thank you for making cards for our military heroes!

grandmalee said...

Absolutely fabulous card!!!! Such creativity!

D's Paper Studio said...

I think your card is awesome! I picked up a few tips. thank you

PCM said...

Very cool card. I like the way you threaded the ribbon through the one star - it took me a bit to realize that you punched the cards - and then all the DP in the background. Great job, TFS

Karen Howard said...

What a fun card, love all the way you added stars to your card!

Renee said...

Great card. So many awesome elements.

Betty said...

Oh my...this is lovely!!! Well done :)

Nancy Keller said...

Oh I love your card! And your blog title is still totally making me laugh. :D Going to follow!

Cheryl said...

Awesome! I love the cut outs!

Cheryl said...

your card is great and i also love the way you displayed it!

Theresa's Studio said...

Great card...very creative!! TFS

DustyPenny (Joy Ott) said...

Love the kraft with the starts!

Holly / InkPaperStamps said...

Just love those star cut outs!

Courtney said...

Beautiful card! Thank you for supporting our troops!

Cut n Paste said...

Love the background on the kraft paper!!! Very nice card! Glad that you joined the bloghop!!!

Merry's Musings said...

Super card! I really like it.

Teepee said...

I love your card. Where did you get that image? It's totally shabby chic/vintage.

Meg Bean said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your card! I like how the stars are cut out to highlight the patterned paper behind it.

Kim said...

Beautiful card! I love the background, looks great.

Christine said...

love love love this card and you better go out and get yourself a miss you stamp - no stash is complete without one... LOL

Unknown said...

I really like the color combo and the cut-outs are clever! Thanks for sharing!

Susan said...

I LOVE this card! so very cool...and I love heat embossing -one of my fav techniques :) want that stamp(stars, LOL) and Marco's paper are great aren't they?
Susan
(78 on the list)

Unknown said...

cute card! love those punched stars. thanks for sharing.

Seongsook Duncan said...

Great card! Love your heat embossed background with stars. Thanks for sharing.

jengd said...

Great card! Love those cutouts!

Heather Grow said...

Wonderful card. I love all those stars. TFS.

Suz said...

gorgeous card Bethany.

Linda said...

Super cute card, love the colors!

Anonymous said...

Love you card and would like to save it to my computer, but it will not let me. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for sharing.

Linda D.

Stampin_melissa said...

Fun card! Love the punched out stars and how you added the ribbon!

mmwilken said...

Great card! Love what you did with the stars. Thanks for sharing with us and have a great rest of the weekend!!

Linda said...

Hi Bethany!

Love the card!

K. Joy said...

Oh, very cute card! I love how the ribbon comes out of the star and how the color from underneath peaks through the stars. :) Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Your card is absolutely adorable, I love it.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Happy Memorial Day!
God Bless our Soldiers & their families!

~Ola
okj83 at live dot com

Bev E said...

I love how you have the ribbon thru the star. Great card! I hardly ever use kraft, but I've seen a couple good ideas for it on this blog hop. Thanks

Corinna Lyons-Revello said...

Your card is fabulous. I really like your background!

Corinna
www.myscrapbooklife.com

Jennifer Moore said...

Your card is amazing.

Jana said...

This card is fantastic. Love all the stars. Sure to bring smiles.